RSS
email

ASK A LEGAL DUDE: 'MY SOON TO BE EX-BOY/GIRL FRIEND' IS ON THE LEASE FOR MY BUSINESS SPACE... HELP!!

Had a random convo today and it prompted me to do some quick internet research for one of my peeps. Since it was so useful to them i figured i'd repost and share.

Q. I am currently renting space for my business. My soon to be ex girlfriend is on the lease as well. Is there any way for me to have her name removed from the lease and I will continue to pay the rent on my own as I have always done? Is is necessary to rename my business and have the landlord provide a new lease with the new name?

A. I'm assuming from what you write that your soon-to-be-ex (let's call her your STBE) is not a partner in the business or otherwise connected. If she's not, you shouldn't have to worry about the business -- unless she's going to litigate with you over use of the name, or who gets the business, or she claims she is a part of the business, or a million different other things....wow, it gets complicated, doesn't it? But, for the sake of argument, let's assume it's your business, and she has no claim to it.

You can get her off the lease by asking the landlord to give you a new lease, with you (or the business, depending on how the lease is drafted) as the sole leasor. However, the landlord might not be inclined to do that because, as I mentioned in the post that spawned your question, the landlord has both you and your STBE on the lease, so he can go after either of you for rent.

.................... for the rest of the article/answer click here

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: